[Blindtlk] more canning questions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Apr 1 16:32:34 UTC 2013

Steve or anyone who knows about canning food,

I've been looking at canners, and all the new ones seem to have a visual
pressure gauge.  If I'm understanding this correctly, there would be no
hissing/rattling noise like from the older type of weighted metal pressure
cap.  My experience with pressure cooking is very limited.  Are these newer
models of pressure canners with the numerical gauge at all useable by blind
people?  How will I know when it's up to pressure?  How will I know when
it's too much pressure, preferably before the safety valve blows off.
*smile*

If there is a particular brand and model that anyone knows of that they have
successfully used non visually, I'd be forever appreciative of the info!

Julie