[Blindtlk] The Unfriendly Skies -- What happened?

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 4 03:04:36 UTC 2013

Dear Mark,

The airline crew will tell you just what to do in an emergency.  They
always, by law, give you the basics right before takeoff with use of the
seat belt, the placement of your life preserver or seat cushion and even the
oxygen mask.
If you need to exit the plane, in a emergency, you need to know where the
closest exit is to you and should know where the nearest one is both in
front of you as well as behind you.
There are usually exits in the nose and the tail of the plane as well as in
the middle over the wings.
If you need to exit down a slide, you jump out and land in a sitting
position and then ride the slide down to the ground or to the end of the
slide in a water landing.
You put on your life vest and fasten it before you exit the plane, but do
not inflate it until you are outside the plane or in the water by pulling
one of the red tabs.  You save the second red tab in case the first one
leaks.  You can also blow up the vest with one of the air tubes if the tab
does not work.
There is a light on the vest that can be water activated or turned on by you
to aid those who are looking for you at night.
I have been in two plane crashes in my life.  The first was in a light plane
landing on a grass strip after a Civil Air Patrol search mission.  The nose
wheel went into a chuck hole and the plane flipped upside down.  The three
of us all walked away, but were shook up.
The second time was just a few months later as I was returning from Orlando
aboard a air force C-130 with my Milton Cadet SQ from the regional drill
team competistion.
The aircraft could not get the main landing gear down and after about 3
hours circling  the field at Egland AFB they foamed the runway and we made a
wheels up belly landing and slid for about a mile before the plane stopped.
We all just jumped out the big cargo door and ran over to the grass and
waited for the air force to bring a school bus to pick us up.
The toughest thing was for all of the girls that needed to use the restroom.
There is none on most military planes.
I am sure there were a lot of dirty pants amongst the group when it was all
over.
Remind me to tell you my Bermuda Triangle story sometime.  That was the
closest to a fatal crash as I ever came and I was about 4 years old at the
time.
I just know that I am not going to die on an airplane ever since that.

I have worked on both military and commercial aircraft in my lifetime and
worked for companies that made the planes or the parts that go on them.
I took my first flying lesson at age 7 and logged about 260 hours at the
controls of about 6 different aircraft flying with friends or as part of the
CAP.
David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack
Retired Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter.