[Blindtlk] Hiring a Driver

Chasity Jackson chasityvanda at charter.net
Sun Dec 8 16:09:34 UTC 2013

Hi David,

Thank you for explaining how you find drivers. What service do you go
through to conduct a background check? I'm also a little confused on what
you said about the state considering the drivers limited term employees. Why
are the drivers hired through the state? Is that for work related purposes I
assume? You also mentioned that when you use them for personal reasons, you
pay them yourself. Do you recommend that anyone who does this pay them the
same rate the state pays, or a comparable one?

I hired a driver 7 years ago on craigslist. I did it by instinct and trust.
He has worked out well and does great with local errands, but really does
not do trips that require farther travel. Should I find myself in a position
in the future to hire a driver for other travel, I would certainly like to
know where I can go to conduct a background check. And David, if you don't
mind, would you share with me or with us what an example of your ad
requesting a driver on craigslist would look like, as far as outlining the
duties?

When I hired this particular driver about 7 years ago, it took a few drivers
before him until I found a good one. The few drivers before him were either
unprofessional or asked too many probing questions, like how much was in my
bank account, and how much I spent for certain things. So out the door they
went!

I'm glad this is being discussed, because I'm curious about how others hire
their drivers.
Chasity