[Blindtlk] Hiring a Driver

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 00:41:48 UTC 2013

Having a "toolkit" of options to apply to  different transit situations is
good for all of us to have.  I don't think there is a flat fee we should
charge since distance, hhow you met the person and  whether they are going
the same direction  matters. Most of the help I admit is free or is paid in
homemade cooking, but that's me.  We do have other options but they are not
reliable so I"ve had to be creative.

Craig's list is pretty risky so that's my last option personally.  I have
enough friends or family that I don’t have to do background checks or
negotiable a fee for service but I'm just lucky I realize.  The last paid
job I had I was able to walk to and was lucky in snowy weather like this.
Some staff in our department couldn't get across town a few times and I had
extra hours that way.    Our buses stop running at 5 pm and do not run on
the hour during the day so it's pretty difficult to  connect and do more
than one thing via bus.  The buses go to one  4 year college but not the
other posing trouble to being as independent as the NFB philosophy asks
people to be. Getting there was always harder, but I have had good friends
and family that have pitched in without cost.  This is makes the cash
stretch since I'm on all the gov't programs you can think of except
community care or some program to help you stay in your home.  My husband is
out of work and has been for years.  Things are tough and he's unreliable
but that's another story not related to vision loss in the least.

Besides having someone I know to help with local errands we have a volunteer
transit program run by the county and paratransit called Care-A-Van.  If you
are low income and elderly or disabled you pay $4.50 round trip for local
things and something else depending on distance you are going out of town.
If you don't meet the criteria for the reduced rate you pay $9 round trip.
They will only take you to medical appointments if you are not on some kind
of government or state program that pays for medical transportation.  If you
are financially independent then it is tougher to obtain help since you are
not considered needy even if you are legally disabled.  I had to fight to
get some things because my husband is sighted.  Most drivers for Volunteer
Transportation  are retired folks who want to give back to the community.
They are reimbursed about 3 cents a mile for driving so it's not completely
volunteer.  It is basically to help with gas.  They will take you
anywhere--night classes, grocery shopping, etc. as long as they can find
someone to help at the hours needed.  Most will hang out and help you in the
store if you ask.  The price is about the same as paratransit but is much
more reliable.  WI is pretty messed up as far as transit goes, but Kenosha
County did one thing right when they  created Volunteer Transit.  There are
a lot of groups of disabled that do not qualify for paratransit including
the blind unless you have other medical conditions like Epilepsy or a
cognitive disability.  No logic to it.  If you have a bus stop they expect
you to take it even if you have had no training to use the unreliable,
inefficient bus system.  They used to be more lax but now I don't think I
can use them because I can walk even though I’m also Epileptic.  I heard
about a lady that has an oxygen tank and uses a walker.  She was told she
ineligible for their help by paratransit leaving her the local bus as the
only option. Isn't that cruel?  We have several groups working on this but
to no avail.   Until the city transit authority makes their buses reliable
we are all underserved as the blind community in Kenosha WI.  If you are in
a town of 100,000 or less and have reliable transit options tell them thank
you.  You are very, very lucky.

I know the way I do things is kind of unorthodox compared to  NFB
philosophy, but I get what I need done.  I don't take people for granted
though like some with other disabilities take gov't programs, etc..  Many
times I offer people gas money and they decline.  I make cookies, share
homemade soup or take them out to lunch as others shared they do.  Don't be
too proud to ask those who know you for help.  It's a great tool to educate
people while getting something done at the same time. Former drivers have
written to the  newspaper on our behalf because of this so don't hesitate.
Remember that sighted people take help from others so why shouldn't we.

Ericka Short
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short