[Blindtlk] [blindtlk] training centers

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 00:43:38 UTC 2013

Don't lose hope.  If going to an NFB school is what feels best after you
lots of research on each program, talk to the staff, teachers, and graduates
of each programs definitely reach out to the FL  affiliate.  Don't  be
afraid to put all your dreams, needs and reasons on paper.  It makes you
look professional and you'll have something to offer staff when planning
your curriculum. Some programs assume you have skills and try to  improve
them in adults rather than understanding some of us need to start from
scratch.  I think MN  taught students braille no matter  how much vision
they had sooner than Wi and that might have been a reason I felt behind.  I
knew no braille, adaptive computer or cane skills when I left WI. Though I
didn't master anything, I had much more knowledge than I did before.  I wish
the focus was more on an individual basis rather than cookie cutter
programming but that is why you need to do interior (your dreams, fears,
talents, etc) and exterior research before making a decision.  I needed more
skills than philosophy but I got a big dose of philosophy and less help on
skills or support for job concerns  I had the college degree but didn't feel
I had the adaptive skills to get into the work force.  I am sure there is a
better balance of skills and philosophy now.

Don't be afraid to "buck the system".  I'd tried the  programs WI offered
but they too didn't listen to what I needed and  I was left behind.  As I
said before I had some specific needs I was looking to fill before I went
into the workforce.  This was almost 20 years ago when I started my fight to
attend.  They too wanted justification.  They do that when they don't know
much about a program.  I ended up talking to the DVR counselor's boss and
within half an hour I"d convinced him that it was a good idea.  My counselor
told me it made sense to her but I had to justify it to the state because
it was not regular procedure.  In the end they paid for it all and though I
wasn't able to get all my needs met at Blind at the time new directors
change procedures when they come and I'm certain the program in MN is better
at supporting individual student needs than they used to be.

If you have lived all your life in FL are you prepared for  MN or CO
winters?  If the answer is no than Louisiana might be better.  Weigh it all
out before you pick.  I didn't and I am paying the price. I'd like to think
I'd be employed now full time and have my master perhaps, but then again I
might have had to learn some lessons in preparation.  Who knows? what might
have been.  Yes, there is a center in Denver Colorado too.

Ericka J. Short
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short