[Blindtlk] rides from church members

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 01:08:59 UTC 2013

Depending on how large your congregation is, you might want to start by
sitting down one on one with the pastor and explaining your needs.  He/she
can either direct you to some names to contact personally.  They might know
of hidden services in you area also.   If you know people from adult
classes, ladies aid or parents who have kids in Sunday School with your kids
you can find a common connection.  Bigger churches have either a parish
nurse, Family  concerns or social concerns committee/team .  These can be a
good resource too.  At first you will have to schedule rides but later
people realize you really need help and don't take advantage of them, you
should have a few that will be reliable in a sticky situation.  I put a note
in the bulletin and church newsletter.  That helped.  The more involved you
are in the congregation the more they are willing to help you.  People like
to help those they care about.  People don't help strangers so often any
more probably for the same reason background checks for drivers is a good
idea.  Some days I think some congregational leaders wish I'd leave the
church because I’m pushing them to  be more disability accessible in
facilities and in attitude.  That won't happen!  Good luck.  I hope I was
helpful.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short