[Blindtlk] [blindtlk] training centers

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 10 15:42:27 UTC 2013

The term, as developed in Nebraska and later at the NFB centers, is
"structured discovery".  Of course, travel programs that believed in blind
people, such as California and Iowa starting in the 50's, had this approach,
but hadn't invented a name for it.  At least part of this is getting the
student to explore more, to develop techniques that can be generalized and
applied wherever they are needed, and not just learning certain cane
techniques or certain routes.

I think that structured discovery applies to computer training, as well.  If
you understand programs and how they interact with your screen reader, and
not just learn a series of steps for performing an action, you will be
better prepared when, not if, something changes.  The same would apply to
shop or home ec.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com