[Blindtlk] stuck in rural areas

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 06:03:29 UTC 2013

DJ:

We are trying advocacy in Kenosha WI but all we hear is "funding is the
problem here" too.  Nobody admits that bus routes haven't been looked at in
40 years.  I think that's the bigger problem than lack of feral/state
funding but how to get council and transit to look at routes is just not
happening.  A interfaith advocacy  group called the Gammelial Foundation has
chapters all over the US.  WI has 10 chapters and the next 3 years they are
focusing on improving transit statewide which includes paratransit, shared
ride taxi services, busing and all kids of other ride sources.  Milwaukee
has a really neat countywide program connected with the Department of Aging.
It is an interfaith volunteer program that does many things.  They take
people places if you call ahead and schedule, help with light home repair
like snow shoveling and lawn care, even helping with taxes!  I wish  this
program was there for you Desiree.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about
the worship part.  These folks just volunteer their time and are just there
to help, nothing more.

Desiree and Lauren:
There have been so much good advice here for all of you that I can't add
much.  A Universalist congregation wouldn't ask for any commitment on your
part probably and their views are probably more in line with theirs than
other mainline churches.

We all have hard choices to make sometimes and they change from year to
year.  I moved from small town friendly life to  a bigger town with supposed
transit but it's not better than home.  It seems you have looked into things
and  let others tell you what to do.  It's time you  made a list of what you
want to do with your life and  go from there.   Don't like the how-tos or
other obstacles of reality  stop you in this list.  Dreaming is good for the
body and soul, free of charge and doesn't hurt anyone.  Perhaps this will
help you make some decisions.The how-to will come later when you have a firm
idea of what you want.  We'll be here to ehlp I'm sure.

Good luck while soul-searching.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short