[Blindtlk] Hiring a Driver

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Dec 12 13:53:12 UTC 2013

Having worked on lost causes in the past, I understand the idea that sometimes we think that being an advocate is not worth the effort. You may be right, it might not work. You can depend upon the fact that its lack will insure that no changes happen. I generally use the Arlow Guthrie rule for meetings I want to influence. He said
"If just three people walk in, sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walk out, they may think it's an organization;
And if fifty people a day walk in, sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walk out, friends they may think it's a movement..."

The point being that if just one or two blind people show up at a meeting, it is easy to ignore us. If, however, you get a bunch together, and you form a group in the meeting, you get noticed. Sometimes, they don't pay any attention to what you say, but they will know you're there. Like the mule, first you have to get their attention.

Don't give up on your politicians. They need to stand for re-election. They won't want someone (or a lot of someone's) going to the press showing that all they care about are folks with cars.