[Blindtlk] perceptions of others was Echo Location as a Mobility Aid, World Access For The Blind?

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Jan 3 15:16:28 UTC 2013

This topic has drifted significantly. It comes down to how important the perception of others is in your scheme of things. Dealing with the original topic, I once saw Dan (whose last name I cannot remember) at a conference, where he demonstrated and advocated echo location. It worked for him. I realized that I used the same technique, without the vocalizations when looking for a building, the tap of the cane as the audible impulse. I decided that only in the most absolute of desperation would I use clicking sounds as a mobility aid. I could not see myself going into a meeting, job interview, social situation or workplace audibalizing sounds to find my way around. But, it works for him, and good on him.

For the rest of the thread, we all find a level of comfort with ourselves. I do not care if I run over a cup. If I do, I clean it up. It doesn't ruin my day, nor do I think anything of it. I make mistakes, as my wife is pleased to remind me, but she, having been married to me for the last thirty-five years, chalks them up to my own inattention or stupidity. I like the first one best. Unless it is important what people think of what I do to deal with blindness, I don't worry about it. I know we are judged by others and since there aren't very many of us, judgments about one are generalized to all. So, I do my best. That, after all, is all any of us can do.

I'm happy to put up with your screw ups, and I hope you will put up with mine. Most of them will have nothing to do with blindness.