[Blindtlk] blind people being loners

Mari Hunziker marihunziker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:00:57 UTC 2013

HI RJ,

I don't think it has anything to do with fear of the unknown. It has to do
with people's personalities. I attended a youth program at the Braille
Institute in CA when I was a kid. I was a very social child and still very
social. I do not drive, like most blind people. I must rely on asking for
rides from friends or from public sources. I always try and make friends
where ever I go. When I take my kids to the park, I try and start a
conversation with others there. Now that my kids are in school, I volunteer
a lot at their school and enjoy being involved. There have been times when
I have felt like a loner but  when I do I remember that I must reach out
and call a friend or a family member. Reaching out to others is typlically
a blessing to them as well.
Thanks,
Mari Hunziker