[Blindtlk] blind people being loners

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 13:49:10 UTC 2013

I think there's a big difference between being alone and being lonely.
One is a feature of personality preference.  The other is an unmet
emotional need.

I spend a fair amount of time alone, and enjoy it immensely.  I like to
get things done without distractions and people chatting at me.  I like
being able to shut my office door and get my reports written, meeting
notes prepared, presentations planned and reading up to date information
in my field.  If someone comes in to ask a question, it takes me a good
15 minutes to get back into my optimum mental flow state.

Socially, I have a few friends and enjoy going out and doing things, but
I do not enjoy large gatherings.  I have always been that way even
before vision loss.  I strongly prefer 1 on 1 time with people or small
groups of 5 to 10.  I feel the most energized when I have a good balance
of me time and small group time.

I do travel to large group events several times a year.  I enjoy the
opportunities it provides, but I generally plan a day or two afterward
with no meetings so I can have the alone time that I need.

Have you guessed yet that I am a strong introvert? *smile*  If you are
familiar with myers briggs personality inventory testing, I score around
97% introverted.

I do think that especially in the very beginning of the adjustment to
blindness some people, especially the introverts, can become isolated.
I think the extroverts have the advantage of having the innate skills to
be able to network and connect with people to get the services they
need.  Introverts can do those same networking things, it just takes
more effort and concentration for us.  In the beginning The skills
aren't there to be able to apply for jobs, ride the bus to get to social
events, use the internet to use social networks or a lot of other
opportunities to interact with people.  It takes time to learn that
stuff and to have the confidence in yourself to be able to use it.  I
think most people figure it out and get on with their lives though.
Sure there are some blind folks who continue to stay isolated, refusing
to help themselves to a better place.  I don't think blindness is to
blame though.  there are sighted folks who do the same.  It could be a
specific personality type, mental illness, laziness, a victim mentality
or something else, I'm not sure.

So the original question was do I think that some blind people isolate
themselves.  I'd say yes, but not for the reason of blindness you are
suggesting.  I'd answer yes to do some sighted people isolate themselves
or do some senior citizen, dog owners with bad hair isolate
themselves.   It's a human thing not a blindness thing.

Julie