[Blindtlk] blind people being loners

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jan 25 16:59:53 UTC 2013

My guess is that he probably had something in mind when he asked this question.  While I don't think all blind persons are loners,
I definitely think that there are definite barriers to become a part
of a group of sighted persons.  In my case, some of the barriers may well be of my own making, I won't claim otherwise, but not
all of them.  I also
think that blind kids are often forced to find their own way of entertaining themselves unless they are particularly lucky.  There
are many variables involved in looking at what makes each of us what we are, and there are many dangers in drawing conclusions
based upon one characteristic, but I think it is wrong to deny that blindness can sometimes isolate one even if one is not
naturally a loner.  Transportation can by itself be a key factor in being isolated.  While I don't think it makes sense that being
isolated is something that should be denied or swept under the rug, I also don't feel one should just sit around being isolated
and feeling sorry for oneself.  There are things that one can do about it.  Also, realizing that it simply happens sometimes and
not getting all bent out of shape about it helps.  Finally, I believe strongly that being comfortable with other blind people is
not a bad thing.  I am not saying that one needs to stick to socializing with blind people and forget about those who are sighted,
but neither should one feel that getting support from others who share one's characteristic is a bad thing.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson