[Blindtlk] Out Of Sight, seeing through the eyes of kids who are blind.

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 13:15:39 UTC 2013

I am one of those people with pretty low vision who uses a CCTV.  I also
use JAWS, Voice Over and Braille.  which option I choose for the moment
depends a lot on what I need to get done. There are simply some things
that are more easily accomplished using the CCTV, looking at graphs,
filling out a simple form not immediately available electronically,
reading a handwritten note, looking at complex tables and other things
with spatial relationships.

I do wonder if the young lady on the program had a toolbox of options or
if she was stuck using the CCTV for everything because she did have some
vision.  I think there needs to be balance, options and the best use of
the right tool for the job.

Taking each file out of the filing cabinet to read it's label on the
CCTV would be incredibly cumbersome, Braille works better.  Reading a
handwritten police ticket at work is best accomplished with the CCTV.
Writing client reports works best with JAWS.  And when I do classroom
presentations I use my i Pad with Voice Over, an old Braille Note or
sometimes hard copy Braille, depending on which I feel will work best.
I do carry a portable magnifier with me though because sometimes I need
to access printed stuff on the fly and that is the easiest way for me to
do it.  I can't imagine trying to get all of this done with only one tool.

And yes, I understand that there are non visual ways of doing these
tasks and I'm not disputing the usefulness or effectiveness of those
means.  I'm just saying that for me sometimes using the CCTV works.

Julie