[Blindtlk] A List Newbee and a Question About Small Town Life andBlindness

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jun 2 15:56:31 UTC 2013

Welcome to the list!  I also live in a very small town, less than 8,000
people.  My husband is a farmer and I work for the county.  I moved here
from a decent sized city with city buses, cabs and lots of things within
walking distance.  When I moved here to marry my farmer husband, one of my
conditions was that we live in town where I could walk to the majority of
things I would need to get to regularly.    He already had an apartment in
town and commuted out to where he farms.  We bought a house about 5 blocks
from where his apartment was.  So we are about 10 blocks from downtown and
the majority of services and shopping.

It's going to be tough until you get to know people in your community and
can work out carpooling with others.  I'd suggest joining anything that
interests you, so you can start making those connections quickly.  Churches,
civic organizations, leadership groups,  volunteer at a community center or
get involved with things going on in your workplace.  this will help you
meet people, who hopefully will be going to many of the same places you want
to go.  Try to work out an exchange of services, like they pick you up every
other Saturday morning for a trip to Wal-Mart and you watch their kids that
night so they can go out with friends.  Small town people are generally
happy to help out a neighbor and will do what they can, but offering money
has not worked out well for me.  It is more socially acceptable for you to
offer an equivalent service.

Also if it is at all possible, I would suggest trying to find a place to
live where you can access most of what you will need on a regular basis.
For me those things are: my work location, the schools, the grocery store,
the bank, the post office, restaurants and the farmers market. There are
some things I cannot get to by walking, but if those places are something I
can plan  out in advance, I can figure out transportation.

Another option might be to see if any of the grocery stores offer delivery.
One of ours does here.  It costs a few dollars and you have to order on
Tuesday and they only deliver on Thursday, but still it could work.   There
is at least one farmer that makes deliveries of meats and eggs to our town.
It costs $7 and I think it's once a month, but if you had a decent sized
freezer you could order enough to last.  The best thing is to meet people
who have lived in the area for a while and can tell you about this sort of
stuff.

Good luck, and happy rural living!
Julie