[Blindtlk] Fwd: [Mm-friends] comcast working on talking cable box

christopher nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 22:38:42 UTC 2013

FYI:

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* cullen <cullen.gallagher at gmail.com>
*Date:* June 14, 2013, 1:32:59 PM CDT
*To:* "mm-friends at acbradio.org" <Mm-friends at acbradio.org>
*Cc:* zachary bennoui <zachary.bennoui at gmail.com>, nana Gallagher <
norac1220 at yahoo.com>, Patrick Mannion <mannion.p617 at gmail.com>
*Subject:* *[Mm-friends] comcast working on talking cable box*
*Reply-To:* mm-friends at acbradio.org

Here is an article i found about something new and cool from Comcast. Here
it is.

resident of Accessibility, Comcast Cable in
TV<http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices?category=tv>

Customers who are blind or have low vision often find themselves reliant on
family members to navigate the program guide while watching TV, or remain
stuck in the ancient "channel up, channel down" paradigm, wading through a
sea of content with little context.

Today, Comcast demonstrated the nation’s first talking cable TV interface
at the 2013 Cable Show <http://2013.thecableshow.com/>. Designed to enable
people who are blind or who have low vision to navigate the on-screen set
top box menus—including OnDemand and the linear program guide—the new
feature sets the stage for an unmatched level of access to Xfinity TV.
Currently in development, this new feature will be integrated into X2, the
next generation of Comcast’s X1
platform<http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/xfinity-tvs-next-generation-x1-platform-the-future-of-tv>
.

The ability to navigate the program guide as the interface speaks channel
names and numbers, time slots, and program details empowers customers to
explore all that Xfinity TV has to offer.

We think this new feature will resonate with customers. In fact, during a
recent Comcast Accessibility research interview, one customer noted, "A lot
of people think that blind people only live with sighted people, but a lot
of us live on our own. We’d love to be able to control our entertainment
like anybody else….Nothing beats sitting on your couch with a remote
control in your hand, watching TV."

Comcast’s new talking TV interface will deliver that essential TV
experience to millions of blind or low vision customers.

Tags : Accessibility<http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices?tag=accessibility>
, X1 Platf <http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices?tag=x1-platform>