[Blindtlk] 10 natural ways to relieve stress

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 5 02:24:23 UTC 2013

    As a professional in the field of health & wellness, I would like to add
my support to Mike's comments about blindness being a major stressor. One of
my fields of expertise is in stress management, teaching seminars to
employees of large corporations. The truth about stress is that it is the
result of our interaction with the environment; it cannot be eliminated,
only managed. Stress is fundamentally the reaction to our perception of a
circumstance. It is neither positive or negative except that thinking makes
it so. Two people can experience the exact same event and have very
different reactions.
    blindness, in and of itself, is not a distressor - the term for negative
stress. In fact, for me, it is generally a neutral stressor.There are times,
though, that it is a positive stressor, motivating me to work harder to
accomplish a thing just because some believe I cannot do so as a blind
person. Then there are those times blindness is a distressor, such as when I
feel frustrated with a website that is inaccessible.
    I agree with Mike's comment about lessening the distressful
circumstances in our lives by obtaining good blindness skills training and
making use of effective blindness tools. The positive philosophy embodied in
the NFB and so elucidated in the speech Mike mentioned is well worth the
read on a regular basis. It is what I refer to as "organic" writing. The
more you read it the more it grows in your consciousness!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, M.S.
Kairos Health & Wellness Center
www.KairosHWC.com