[Blindtlk] learning Jaws

Peter Wolfe yogabare13 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 03:13:10 UTC 2013

David,

    YIn hine sight, Jaws is the more powerful screen reader with
numerous functionality and script writing that GW-Micro simply doesn't
have. I wish that my Vocational Rehabilitation counselors would have
informed me of this reality not allow me to learn it on my own.
Instead the assistive technology instructors at E.H Gentry in Alabama
being experimental just allowed me to blindly use window-eyes.
Honestly I feel like I was setup for failure cause at that time that
hardly anybody thought that I'd graduate from community college and
ultimately get a scholarship from a major four year university like
Auburn. I agree with all of your statements David that Window-Eyes for
all intensive purposes is like Apple for personal usage and Jaws is
better for professional usages so W.E is just a toy at this point in
time.

    How long do you guys or gals think it will take to learn Jaws with
skills enough for a entry level in the federal government? I'm a
pretty quick learner like four months is all it took for me to learn
braille literary I and II with contractions and that is pretty fast
for Gentry. I'm also the first blind student to come threw their halls
to pass the GED the first time too! I
'm looking at perhaps a week of evaluation, four weeks of Jaws and
food preparation training with a little outside orientation and
mobility and perhaps a three month temporary work paid experience with
a federal agency whether Social Security, Veterns Administration,
Department of Treasury or Labor that could perhaps lead to a perminent
job with those agencies! Any ideas or suggestions on the screen reader
or programs to consider or what Windows application to master with
Jaws would be nice. I don't know whether to try to push the braille
display or if just the IRS TSR or other jobs only require it or what
the emphasis should be on. This is my challenge being blind that I
don't know without any clear guidelines of the usajobs.gov job
descriptions of what applications they use. However, I do know
Microsoft word, Excell and internet explorer are musts in any federal
job.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Cordially,
Peter Q Wolfe, BA
e-mail: yogabare13 at gmail.com
"If you don't stand up for something your willing to fall for anything"
Peter Q Wolfe
"Stand up for your rights"
Bob Marley