[Blindtlk] Canes and Dogs, the In-House Checkup

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 21 22:50:58 UTC 2013

Hello Kelby and everyone,

    The retention of ownership, the school's refusal to employ blind persons
in its training department (Something GDB has attempted to change), being
confined to the grounds in off hours, not being permitted to work the dog
off campus prior to graduation even during organized trips, being separated
from my wife during meals (We both attempted to train in the same class in
1986 but Mary did not complete the training through no fault of GDB),and
being bullied and harassed by other students when these deficiencies in the
program were pointed out to school staff. But the most damming issue of all
is the unwillingness of NFB guide dog users to fight the continued use of
ownership retention by guide dog schools and other guide dog
training-related issues with the same enthusiasm as that being exerted to
end the payment of subminamum  wages to blind shop workers. If there's an
inconsistency in how we address issues we're on record of opposing such as
the retention of ownership by guide dog schools (Since 1976 I should add.)
We might not like the organization's stand on a particular issue but if
we're going to be members of this organization we're bound by its policies
and positions taken on matters addressed during our national convention.
There are several resolutions that address the guide dog ownership issue and
the schools employing blind training staff. Resolution 1986-30 puts us on
record of supporting the training and employment of blind guide dog trainers
and class instructors. The author of that resolution is writing this
message. Hardly anything has changed in this respect since the adoption of
this resolution. This is all the more the need for serious consideration
being given to creating an NFB guide dog program. Hope this answers some of
your questions. Now to enjoy Bach's Goldberg Variations and have dinner with
the wife.

Peter Donahue