[Blindtlk] Guide Dog Story

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 14:57:40 UTC 2013

Since we're talking about guide dogs, here's a not-so-fun aguide
dog experience I had recently.

In a few weeks I'll be traveling to Kentucky for a singing
competition that my university's voice department participates
in.  (Originally, I was set to sing on a recital and wasn't
planning on going, but the dates were changed.) Once we got me
signed up, my voice instructor told me he didn't want me bringing
the dog.  (Keep in mind, this is someone who is very familiar
with the dog and his known me for a couple of years.) When I
explained why I didn't think that would be appropriate, he
retorted that it would be crowded and "I probably wouldn't need
him." He then followed that up with "And I don't want a dog in my
car."

Needless to say, I am making riding arrangements with a student
(who is more than happy to have a puppy along.) I don't really
need advice as the situation is sorted out, but commiseration is
appreciated.  (grin)

Kelby S.  Carlson

Vanderbilt University