[Blindtlk] Adjustment to Blindness Training, NFB Centers or Not?

Ray Foret Jr rforetjr at att.net
Sat Mar 23 12:44:15 UTC 2013

I suspect not.  You would, I think, be rash to take that up now.  Somehow, however, I get the feeling you will not.

Sent from my mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in!
Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray
Still a very proud and happy Mac and Iphone user!

On Mar 23, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Michelle Medina <michellem86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thing is, we aren't in the 70's or 80's, we're in the second decade of
> the 21st century.
>
> Further more, I'm still discriminated against by sighted people, only
> for me it's because of my cleft and all the surgeries I've had. 66 to
> be exact. Now it's were you burned in a fire? Why's your face like
> that? Did your parents do drugs? I've been stalked and relentlessly
> followed by the public as well as my family. I've had people come up
> and touch me without permission, push me/pull me/put their hands on my
> face or even just hug me. Hugs are fine, the other crap, not so much.
> I still won't ever say I represent, I just represent me as stated
> before.
> Honestly, I have more important things to worry about than
> stereotypes. Like am I even safe when I go in public because of how my
> face looks.
> That makes it tripply hard to go out in public and be independent in
> any shape or form, but I do it because I was born this way. What else
> am i gonna do? Hide under a rock?
>
> On 3/23/13, Ray Foret Jr <rforetjr at att.net> wrote:
>> You must not forget, however, that back in the 70's and 80's, circumstances
>> were different then:  and, attitudes towrad us were more hostile then than
>> now.  Most likely, they tell you that you represent all blind people because
>> of the "seen one you seen 'em all" thing.  So, they want just to make sure
>> that the one they see is as compentant as possible.  Still, after all, we're
>> only human-blind or no.
>>

>> Sent from my mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
>> built-in!
>> Sincerely,
>> The Constantly Barefooted Ray
>> Still a very proud and happy Mac and Iphone user!
>>
>> On Mar 22, 2013, at 12:12 AM, "justin williams" <justin.williams2 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> And this is what I was talking about, the stuff I just choose to ignore.
>>> Call it selective philosophy. I don't represent all blind people.  I have
>>> had NFB folks try and drill that nonsense into me.  Now, I understand
>>> that
>>> it is upon my shoulders to appear competent, but that is more personal
>>> than
>>> because I am blind.  Does some of the representation leak in, sure maybe
>>> little.  However, it is not fair for me to have to always put that on
>>> myself.   I'd die real early if I did that constantly.  No, I represent