[Blindtlk] Professions on list?

Gloria Whipple glowhi at centurylink.net
Mon Mar 25 17:23:49 UTC 2013

Hi Julie,

I also enjoyed your story.

Thank you,

Gloria Whipple

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Julie J.
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:15
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Professions on list?

Justin,

Aw...I don't know what to say.  Honestly writing all that down was a bit
of an eye opener for me.  I just do what I want to do and don't think
too much about it at the time.  My life feels so ordinary.  I often feel
like I need to be doing more.  I appreciate your compliments!

Julie

On 3/24/2013 1:41 AM, justin williams wrote:
> Wow, Julie,  You're kind of, well sort of just a little bit awesome.
> Determination, Tanacity, and ferocity all roled into one.  What a career.
> Next drink I have, I'll be raising one to you.
>   Cheers.

Mom.

> [...]
> skills.  I practiced applying those basic skills in every situation I
could.

> I could use my cane to get to the grocery, the bank or the playground at
the
> park.  The same basic techniques of two point touch, using landmarks,
> listening to the environment etc., but each situation was a bit different.
> I learned to problem solve on the fly.
>
> *How did you overcome or continue to
> overcome against the odds with the changing nature of technology, the
> economy and other adverse situations? *
>
> My answer.  I'll try to give some examples that hopefully will help
> illustrate how I have managed.
> My current job as the Diversion Coordinator is grant funded.  this means
it
> is unattractive to many people because funding is not guaranteed from one
> year to the next.  I wanted a job and was willing to deal with this
> uncertainty.  Although funding isn't certain, I do feel like I have a
decent
> amount of job security.  After all crime isn't going away anytime soon.
> Each year I fill out the paperwork to get the grant money.  I attend the
> training workshops on grant writing so I can get better.  I have applied
for
> and gotten other grants to supplement or increase programs.  I started an
> adult diversion program that is fee based.  Last year our grant was cut.
> lost about one quarter of my salary in that budget cut.  However because I
> had started the fee based program my salary was able to stay the same.
>
> There are a lot of bills being introduced in the legislature this year
that
> could potentially dramatically change diversion programming and juvenile
> justice in Nebraska.  I have absolutely no idea if I will have a job next
> year, how different it will be or where funding will be coming from.  It
> causes me some stress, but I feel like I do a good job and am respected at
> work.  I am hopeful that between my own ingenuity and the support of my
> supervisor we will be able to figure it out.
>
> In case I am wrong I have also started a web based business.  It will take
> good year for it to be fully functional and making money.  If all goes
well
> it will be some supplemental income, if all goes badly, it will be
something
> to fall back on.  I believe in diversifying one's financial portfolio.  I
> have also written a book and will be putting that on the market shortly.
> another way to earn a bit and to keep all the eggs out of that one basket.
>
> As far as technology...mostly I figure it out as I go.  Since I've started
> my job the Crime Commission created an online way to document cases and to
> our statistical reporting.  It had issues, so I contacted the folks in
> charge and pressed hard for them to fix it so it would be accessible.
There

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindtlk_nfbnet.org/justin.williams2%40gma