[Blindtlk] liveral vs conservative was Adjustment to BlindnessTraining, NFB Centers or Not?

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 00:41:36 UTC 2013

Wow, Mark. I wish I had said that.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mark Tardif
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:04 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] liveral vs conservative was Adjustment to
BlindnessTraining, NFB Centers or Not?

Julie,

That is a perfectly reasonable question, no, you are not a huge dork at all.

I think one could write a book about what is meant by those terms, because
sometimes different people mean different things by them.  Plus, you have
people who are considered liberal on economic issues, but more conservative
on social or moral issues.  I think your example above regarding the
strictness of parents is a good example of liberal versus conservative on a
personal level.  Generally, my sense is that a conservative wants either to
leave things as they are or turn back the clock, so to speak, to good
old-fashioned market capitalistic economy, in which the government does
relatively little to help the average person economically and government
budgets are cut in those areas, whereas a liberal might want greater
spending on social and economic programs, such as the Obama economic
stimulus program, for example.  Conservatives would say that if you let the
market do its work, the way we used to before New Deal programs, jobs will
be created, more people will eventually be hired, taxes can be lowered, and
government won't interfere as much with business activity.  On social
issues, such as crime and punishment, liberals, as a rule, would tend to be
less likely to favor things like capital punishment and would want the
prison system to not only punish but to rehabilitate the criminal, whereas
conservatives would generally want prison sentences to be stricter and
longer, and perhaps greater use of capital punishment.  This is a very
simple explanation, but to complicate it more, a lot of people cannot be
classified as liberal or conservative, but they decide what stance they will
take based on the specific issue.  I am not sure regarding blindness issues
how this would work.  I think many of us in the NFB would want blind people
to work harder at finding employment so as to be less reliant on the
governmental programs, which might sound conservative, but we also want
government to provide more insentives for people to seek employment and do
what it can to fight discrimination, which sounds more liberal.  So, it's
hard to say, and, as has been said before, the NFB is a big cross-section of
people, some of whom are liberal on various issues and others who are more
conservative on these same issues.  I hope that helps.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.