[Blindtlk] an apology received

blind411 blind411 at verizon.net
Wed May 15 16:13:41 UTC 2013

Daniel,
	As for the question of whether or not Amazon or any other company is
required to make their websites accessible, I believe it is less a matter of
whether or not they want to do so than what the law requires of them. For
instance, if a brick & mortar store were to design a building with an
entrance only accessible by stairs and a doorway that is only 24" wide, what
would the law, implemented by building code have to say about it? It would
say that they are required to have an equitable alternative entry for those
patrons using a wheelchair. It would not be up to them to decide whether or
not this is done as it is a legal requirement. Sure, those who use
wheelchairs would have the choice to go elsewhere, but why should they if
this entity has what they want at a price they are willing to pay?
	The law has already affirmed that, just as a brick & mortar facility
is required to be accessible, so an electronic facility is required to be
accessible. Just as no respectable licensed architect or building contractor
would consider a building with physical barriers, those who create the
architecture of the internet must also build facilities without barriers.
The law has affirmed this and, as consumers, we need to demand it be done!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala