[Blindtlk] People How Asking How one Became Blind

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri May 17 04:50:06 UTC 2013

It came to my mind that syphilis would also be one of those less-than-savory
blindness causes -- but that's rare now.

Incidentally, Desiree, I also knew a person who tried to commit suicide; she
shot herself, woke up realizing she hadn't done the job, shot herself
*again* and woke up in the hospital realizing all she'd done was blind
herself. She had been a brilliant mathematician and that brilliance was gone
when she recovered but she was still very bright -- and blind. She went on
to lead a normal life.

Mike