[Blindtlk] Being asked why one is blind

Dave Hyde w.dave at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 18 03:10:51 UTC 2013

fOk, Mike. Let's take this to the logical end. If, one has reduced blindness
to a characteristic, and then if one is asked about it and nosium, then it
would become as annoying as someone being asked why their hair was so red,
their eyes so blue, or why so tall. This does annoy those who have the
aforementioned characteristics. They tend to give short, and sometimes
unkind answers. Now if we admit that Lou Alcindor (yes, I know his name is
different) or for those younger than you and me, Shakiel O'Neil, get little
grief about giving such answers to questions like "How's the weather up
there?", why should we who have the characteristic of blindness be chastised
for giving the same kind of answer to a question that we get all the time,
and most often, from those who don't really want to know?

Now I try to answer children. That is education. I try, most of the time, to
give responsive answers to adults who I believe want to know. But in the
original case of the question that started this thread, I'd probably go
Socratic. If particularly annoyed, I might ask what made her ask so many
questions.

The bottom line is that this sounds like a fine discussion over a beverage.
See you at national. I'll be sitting behind you Or, you could say, I got
your back.