[Blindtlk] blindtlk Digest, Vol 83, Issue 17

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:06:44 UTC 2013

I read and write fan fiction in several genres. A couple years ago, I was
asked by a fan fic author to read and critique a story she'd written. She'd
won an award for it and was considering expanding it from what they call a
one-shot to a long multi-chapter story. The author was sighted with no
knowledge of blindness, and the story was about a blind character, mostly
about her feeling the guy's face when she met him. I asked her if she was
sure she really want my feedback, because if she did, I would be honest, and
she might not like it. She said she really wanted it, so I gave it to her. I
said it was well-written in general, but that people who are blind don't
usually go around feeling faces. I said I consider it invading a person's
personal space, and that I'd be likely to slap someone who did it to me,
except in intimate situations. well, naturally, she was offended and
bad-mouthed me for quite a while to some other authors in the same fan
fiction community. I didn't really care about that. those who knew me didn't
pay attention and if anyone did, that's their problem. But I did warn her
she wouldn't like my feedback. I don't know if she ever expanded the story
or not. LOL.

Sherry