[Blindtlk] Some Job Questions...

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sun Nov 24 02:49:45 UTC 2013

First, I’m proud of you for not falling into the "woe is me" frustration
forever.  Finding motivation to get that far is hard enough if you don't
have lots of encouragement. I don't think there has been a disabled person
in the world that didn't have pangs of that now and then.  Even the sighted
do!  My husband, aunt, cousin, some sighted college friends, and a sibling
of mine have all gone though that panic too.

I'm certain you could hold down a job at Panera or anywhere.  Besides
getting in touch with a VR counselor who can set you up with an internship
or work experience to gain confidence and build your resume, consider taking
the Job Acquisition class at Hadley.  They kind of walk you through the
process of finding your passion, using VR services if you think they are
needed, and other resources to answer these very questions.  I had the
teacher for two other classes and he is wonderful.  I wouldn't advise going
out to find anything just because it's a job.  Take some time to reflect on
these questions and write  you answers down.  I hope they help you
understand yourself better and begin to find your focus .  What things have
you done that made you happy?  What tasks do you hate?  What skills or
special talents do you possess?  What do you never want to do?  What would
you like to learn? What kind of volunteer experiences were good memories?
Why? What do you want people to remember you by some day?  Don't put
blindness on trial here on the list.  You work that in when you discover
what excites you.  These days I'm sure there will be blind car salesmen
before too long.  NOT ME! Just some things to think about.  Amy Salmon at
the Hadley School for the Blind can answer any business related  questions.
Grind the who  story and class options (FREE!) at www.hadley.edu.  Her email
is:  amy at hadley.edu.

We all support you, but remember--you have rights out there so don't let
them push you around and second, there are more sighted people in the same
miserable unemployed spot as we are so don't be so hard on yourself.  We are
all here to help so dive into the new chapter of your life and have fun!

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short