[Blindtlk] Best places to live

Paul Wick wickps at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:16:53 UTC 2013

Having grown up in the suburban sprawl of an over-grown small town,
lived in San Francisco, later a small tourist town of 37,000 and now
in Berkeley, Calif., just across the bay from San Francisco, I would
say for me personally that the number one criterion in a place to live
is the ability to go places without asking people for rides. We have
excellent public transportation here, but there was also a lot to be
said for being able to walk to basically everything when I briefly
lived in a small town. There is also something to be said for not
being the only blind person in a place; here in Berkeley I encounter
several other blind people a week, and even if they don't say hello,
not being alone is empowering.

Best,

Paul