[Blindtlk] Blindness and Singleness

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 22:12:24 UTC 2013

More power to you mike.  Outstanding.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Michelle
Medina
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 4:27 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Blindness and Singleness

Mike,
Your saying it's irelevant, and that was your experience. As Justin said,
awesome! More power to ya! However, most of us, myself included, haven't had
that experience.
Example: Not with dating, but with my Baby Nece Kaylynne.
A little over a month ago when she wasn't yet 1 month of age, my sister
realized she'd have to find a job. Luckily, she found one.
However, her partner's father asked her who would help care for Kaylynne
while she worked. She said, Michelle will. This guy immediately jumps up and
says: "I have a real problem with that!"
Worse, because his son, my sister's partner, doesn't have the, uh, male
equipment, to stand up to his father and tell him to shove it, says that he
is "concerned" to. . . My mother, sister and grandmother ragged on the guy
until he and his wife left, leaving my sister's partner miffed and everyone
else boiling because they've all known me since I was born.
I knew when Kaylynne was born that my sister was cool with me caring for
her, even then, however, I also found myself working a million times harder
than alot of other people would have to "get things "right"", to be
"perfect" and "never make a mistake" with Kaylynne, for fear of having him
try to convince my sister that I wasn't fit to care for her.
When I change her diapers, give her a bottle or even play with her, I'm
always checking and rechecking to make sure I've done everything "right", to
make sure she won't fall or hit her head, or ANYTHING.
That can be switched into dating to, and that's even after we all realize we
aren't perfect, myself included, no matter how hard I try to prove to the
contrary.