[Blindtlk] Some Questions About Watching/Accessing Television

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sat Apr 12 21:38:49 UTC 2014

Not a weird question Kerri.  Yes, I  use auditory clues to fill in the
blanks but then I;'m partial so I can sniff the TV screen or use my
monocular if needed.  Most of the time I watch with my ears and that's
sufficient.  Even reality programming on TLC is pretty well described these
days without intending to be.  New tvs have a SAP or Second Audio Play
option that will do the sudio description of  shows that are  offered in
this descriptive format.  It is similar to getting the closed captioning for
the deaf.  Mine doesn't, and it's about 14 years old.  If you have a flat
screen it's probably available on your tv.  I don't watch much  so I have
the channels memorized and just use the remote.  However if I were to use
the dvr I'd need sighted assistance.  I have no clue how it works.  There
are talking vcrs or were but I don't know if they worked out.  I have one
that is simple to program but I don't use it for anything but playing  tapes
now.  everything is repeated so much I don't care if I miss something.

I hope this was of some use.  I'm no technology geek so this is the best I
can do.  I'm stuck in the dark ages and have only used the dvd player a few
times. I've had it almost 8 years.  See what I mean?  I either read or am
out doing something for others.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13
"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short