[Blindtlk] Shuffling Cards

Mon Aug 11 20:07:26 UTC 2014

Wow, Anna. What an excellent description of the method I also use for shuffling cards. And, you put fingers on the short edges of each half. I also agree that the type of cards makes little difference. Practice makes perfect.

The only difficult part of playing cards for me is finding a tried and true method of dealing around the table in a fast, efficient manner. (smile.)

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Anna Givens via blindtlk
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 6:44 PM
To: Brandon A. Olivares; Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Shuffling Cards

I do not believe it matters what type of cards you use. However, practicing with regular print playing cards in the beginning may make it easier for you to learn.
The easiest way to learn how to shuffle would be to have someone show you.
But I can try to explain what I do, although I am not sure how well I will do with the description.  First, split the deck into two halves. One half in each hand. Hold the cards with your thumb on the top edge and your middle finger and ring finger on the bottom ends. Do this with both hands.  Make sure the two half decks  are facing each other.  While you're holding the cards like that, turn your hands with your palms facing each other and slightly down facing. The cards will be bent back.  Put your hands about an inch or so apart from each other. You're thumbs should be pretty close together, and on top.  Your other fingers, holding the cards at the bottom, can be on the table. It may help to put your forefinger on the back of the decks, if it is easier to hold that way.  At this point, start letting go of the top of the cards with your thumbs.  The cards should be weaving together. Slightly move your thumb back on the cards as you let go of the front ones, Don't just let go of all of them at once.  Once that is done, you can just push the cards together. Repeat this a few times and they should be well shuffled.  This will make a shuffling noise. If the cards are not coming together well, experiment with how close you are putting your hands together while shuffling.
That is what I do. You might also try looking at pokerology.com. It has videos and pictures but also has text descriptions of various methods of shuffling. The one I have attempted to describe here is what they called the riffle shuffle.
Again, I would definitely suggest asking someone to show you how to do it in person. However, I hope this has helped maybe a little bit. If you have any questions, something about my description You need  clarified, I will attempt to do so.
Let me know.

Anna E Givens