[Blindtlk] Cross Post: Earning Income while Living in a Rural Area

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Aug 19 12:07:18 UTC 2014

Hi, Danielle,

You may have thought of anything I might suggest, but have you checked with
your local agency for the blind for assistance.

I work for the Idaho state agency, and most of our clients are in rural
areas.  One way to help is that our clients looking for work are signed up
with job placement agencies whose services we use, and through their
initiative, a surprising number of job opportunities have turned up,
although limited.  Another thing we can do on a limited basis is to provide
start-up transportation until someone is employed, but that will depend on
your agency's budget.

There are areas of the state where call centers will work with their county
clients, and I think some of that may involve some home employment, but not
sure how they work that out; it is not in our county.

The Department Of Labor may have some ideas for you, that may also depend on
your county.  Ours does offer services and training for job seekers.

Your counselor can explore career interest, will help you capitalize on your
strengts, and strengthen any weaknesses through training or schooling.

In extreme cases,a blind person living in a rural area, but wanting to work,
may have to face the fact that living in a rural area is not advantageous.

My husband and I are both blind, and practically speaking, our need for
transportation and independence has determined where we would buy our next
home, take the next job, the best situation where we could freely transport
our kids to their schools and activities.  Down the road you may need to
seriously consider moving to an area with good transportation if you want to
further your schooling or raise career expectations.

But there are options to explore first for those living in rural
communities.

I hope any of this information is helpful, and best wishes.