[Blindtlk] Oops Subject was Intro and a Question

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:00:51 UTC 2014

HI All,
  I am new to this list and also have a question.

  First, for those who do not know me, my name is Chris and I am totally blind. I lost my vision completely as a young  adult (I was born visually impaired with usable vision in one eye). I lost my vision about 14 years ago.

  My question relates to traveling.

  I am a long-time guide dog user. I received my first guide when I started  to lose my remaining vision in 1999 and have had continuous dogs since then with no breaks longer than approximately 1 week between dogs.

  For various reasons, I am seriously considering switching to a white cane  and this is where my question comes in.

  Although trained on the basics (e.g., I know the basic techniques such as how to move the cane while in general motion, roughly how far to swing it, how to deal with things like steps...) I have had only very limited use with it.

  I was considering something like Leader Dogs O/M program since our O/M services here where I am living are aweful. However, there are some really frustrating obsticals (e.g., the closest airport for me is around an hour away and I live alone and do not want to ask someone (family do not live near me) to drive me that far simply to board a plane).

  I should say that I have had a lot of O/M training throughout my life so know how to safely cross major streets independently... so can safely travel.

  Thus, given the above, I have been considering just getting myself up-to-speed with some help from sighted folks I know without being in a formal training program. DO others here think this is doable based on what I have said? I feel like  I could do it, but  would really appreciate advice from those who are experienced in cane travel as I really would value your thoughts and opinions. Any advice, suggestions... would be sincerely appreciated.
Have a wonderful afternoon!
Chris