[Blindtlk] learning cane skills

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 00:27:26 UTC 2014

Hello Chris,
I totally believe that you can learn the necessary cane skills with only
assistance from blind folks who are good cane travellers. I have never had a
formal mobility lesson in my life. I trained my own guide dogs and was a
guide dog user for 20 years. After I retired my last dog, I also relocated
and circumstances warranted using a cane. I simply went to the NFB store at
convention, bought a long cane and started using it. I had some basic
guidance and advice from a few competent blind cane travellers at convention
and I never looked back.
I been using my cane for the last 15 years, to travel independently in the
U.S. and when I travel abroad. So, I don't believe that you need sighted
assistance to get your travel skills up to speed. I would encourage you to
reach out to the blind folks in your area whom you know are good cane
travellers. Or, alternatively, take Marci up on her offer to put you in
touch with some. I wouldn't waste my time, energy or money on going to a
formal programme. It's not that I think the programme is bad, I have no
opinion on the programme. I just think that with your current skills and
mobility background, you will only need specific assistance. Working with
local blind folks who are good cane travellers will meet your specific needs
best. Just my opinion, of course.
Warmly,
Heather