[Blindtlk] Your feedback please!

James Kelm jameskelm at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 02:46:59 UTC 2014

Dear friends,

    I have been gathering information regarding a project that I have been
wanting to do and am now about to actually go into production, and I would
greatly value any feedback and/or suggestions that you might offer me!  You
can respond either through this list, or directly at my personal E-mail:
jameskelm at earthlink.net.  I really want this project to be of real value to
those who would be interested, and you can help me to better accomplish my
goal!

    I am going to produce a comprehensive instructional course for learning
to play the guitar.  Later I also want to do one on bass.  This
course/program would take an individual directly from the point of picking
up a guitar for the very first time, all the way to being able to play music
with other musicians.  The major emphasis would be that this course would be
especially designed for the visually impaired.  I think that there is a
great need for this kind of thing, since there is very little out there for
a blind person who wants to learn to play a guitar.  There are millions of
instructional publications, as well as gobs of stuff on line.  But most of
it uses printed or visually oriented material.  I want to design something
that a visually impaired person can use completely independently!  Bill
Brown is a wonderful gentleman who has offered a lot of stuff for the blind,
so I would not want to directly compete with him.  But I certainly think
that there is room for another!  My course would be with the perspective of
a performing musician with over 30 years of professional experience.

    I would love any feedback that you can offer, but below are a few
questions that I especially would like to have more feedback on.

1.  Would it be generally better to package the course as 1 comprehensive
package for $100 or so, or better to break it up into individual sections
that can be purchased separately for $10 or $15?

2.  What would be the best format to offer such a program in, compact
disc/DVD, SD card, thumb drive, or the cartridges that NLS uses for their
Talking Books?

3.  Do you know of any organizations/distributers of material for the
visually impaired that might be interested in carrying my course, and what
would be the best way to submit it for their consideration?

    Thank you for your help!  I have to be honest and say that I am hoping
that this project will help to bring a little extra finances into my
family's budget, but I want to produce something that the buyer will
sincerely feel they have spent their money well!

Your friend,
James