[Blindtlk] Visually Impaired/ Living in the middle?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 18:27:34 UTC 2014

I think your decision whether or not to learn blindness skills depends
on whether you feel like you are struggling to perform everyday tasks
or reaching your professional goals. If you can get around without
difficulty, don't experience eyestrain from reading with your CCTV,
etc. then the way you are doing things may be the best way for you.
However, being visually impaired shouldn't entail having a lot of
difficulty doing things, or fearing for your safety, or even taking
much longer to do things than a sighted person does. If you are having
these kinds of subjective experiences then it might make sense to find
out what you can gain from going to a training center and learning to
do at least some activities using blindness skills. Ultimately, I know
a lot of visually impaired people who have blindness skills training
and they choose to do some things visually and other things
nonvisually.

Best,
Arielle