[Blindtlk] Visually Impaired/ Living in the middle?

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sat Feb 8 20:33:23 UTC 2014

Hi, Mary,

I can identify with your feeling on a different level.  Having grown up in
an Air Force family that traveled, I felt I had 2 identities, one as a
military brat, the other pretending to be a civilian when in the states.  I
never felt badly about this, it was just that I'd lived through things only
an MB knew about.  The civilian kids didn't understand what a TDY really
was, nor did they understand what your dad did when you said he was with Tac
Eval, or Plans And Ops.  It was having a group of friends that understood
those life aspects.

Later in life as I came to identify with more blind people and really saw
myself as the blind person I am, that is one of the characteristics that is
part of me, just like my short hair.

Growing up, my blindness didn't make me feel separate, probably because my
folks made sure I had the access I needed and encouraged my interaction with
others. The really big thing for me living in a foreign country was being
able to hook up with other Americans, and it was the same for the other
kids.  We could communicate in the same language, English, and came from the
same background of being American.  The blindness issue wasn't as big a
thing that really presented a barrier in having other friends while growing
up.

When we lived in Colorado Springs, I did attend the blind school there and
loved it, got involved in athletics, and met other kids in the district
schools that way.

The identity thing is real, though, and I think Ariel said it best.  If the
sight you have now is an imposition, if it should become harder to work with
the adaptive technology and skills you have now, that's the time to start
upping the blindness skaills.