[Blindtlk] New NBC Show is about a Graduate from GuideDog Foundation

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 18 15:46:34 UTC 2014

	I do believe, though, that talented blind actors are passed over for
parts their blindness would greatly enhance! I wonder if some feel having a
Anglo person play the part of a black, indigenous, Asian, or Hispanic
character when talented actors  with those characteristics are so readily
available would be appropriate. Those with such characteristics, I believe,
would understandably express their objections! The performing Arts Division
of the NFB has a number of very talented actors who need gigs, so why not
tap into this resource and make the character more believable? Perhaps one
answer to this question might be that the producers might not be so apt to
exploit the stereotypes about blindness they feel make for good comedy, as
the blind person might object! Of course, the producers would likely argue
the character doesn't look blind!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala