[Blindtlk] Handling a big buffet

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 8 01:17:52 UTC 2014

Tom,

None of these are "dumb" questions, there is no such thing, as far as I'm
concerned.  I personally don't like big buffet types of situations precisely
because of these kinds of issues and feeling inadequate in my handling them.
But if the food is good and friends, blind or not want to go, I will
certainly go.  I think you might want to try some methods and find whatever
works for you.  How this kind of situation is handled is ultimately a
personal decision, and whatever you do, don't allow other people around you
to try to make you feel inadequate because you want or need help from wait
staff.  I personally will ask staff if they might be able to assist me, go
up to the buffet line with them while I hold the plate, and let them tell me
what is at a particular station and let them put the food onto my plate.
This way I get to know what's there and make my own choices, but also help
out.  But I would feel no shame if a waitress asks if you would like her to
get things for you, especially if the restaurant appears to be very busy.
If she does this, I would certainly tip her, just like in a restaurant where
I was being served.  But this is a tricky situation for a number of reasons,
and to me the main idea is that you go enjoy the food and not let the fact
that it is a buffet stop you from going and having a good meal.  End of
lecture, LOL.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.