[Blindtlk] Thank you very much!

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Mar 8 13:35:11 UTC 2014

I carry trays just as Linda described.  If I need to carry a drink on the
tray I put it so that I can hook my thumb around it.  So the hand that is
supporting the tray against my hip has my fingers curled around and
underneath palm down, my thumb hooks around the cup at the edge of the tray.
I'm not really holding the cup so much as making sure it doesn't slide
around and checking to make sure it's level.

I handle buffets in a variety of ways depending on the situation, the
proximity of available help and my mood at the moment.  Generally I like to
fill my own plate.  I have someone else tell me what's what.  I move my hand
around the edge to find the spoon and get what I want.  If the spoon isn't
easily found or if it's fallen into the bowl, I'll ask my reader to show me
where it is.

Sometimes I'll go up to the buffet and let my reader fill my plate for me.
Sometimes I'll sit at the table and let someone do everything for me.
Sometimes I do my plate and have someone else get my drink and sometimes
I'll make two trips, one for the food and one for the drink.  Sometimes I'm
tired and just skip the drink.  I've been at hotels with the free breakfast
and managed the whole thing without a reader because it was early and no one
was around.

I'd suggest trying out some different approaches, see what works in what
situation and do something different if it didn't work as well as you
wanted.  Practice helps too.  Oh, if you wanted to practice carrying a tray
at home, a cookie sheet works great!

Julie