[Blindtlk] Walking Straight Without a Shoreline

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Wed May 7 01:25:12 UTC 2014

The distance perception is something you practice.  I know my husband has a
hard time with that, too.  If someone tells me, ten to 15 feet, that's about
the size of one wall of an average bedroom.  Fifty feet can be the size of
an average house from one end to the other.  300 yards is the length of a
football field.  3 feet about the width of a standard doorway.

These are rough estimates, but give an idea.  The more you work with
measurements, the better idea you can have.  It will be interesting to hear
others' views on this as well.

BTW, my mom was sighted very articulate and intelligent, and she could not
enter a building and leave from an opposite door without getting turned
around.  When we went places together when I was a teen or adult, although
she was able to see where to go, I usually got us pointed in the right
direction to begin with.  We worked as a team, hahahah!  After having grown
up observing her, I wonder how much innate directionality is learned or
inherited.  Very interesting questions.