[Blindtlk] [blindtlk] transplants

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:27:48 UTC 2014

No Cornea transplants are different from eye transplants, Cornea's only fix
is there are cornea issues, they normally don't fix if you are totally blind
or almost totally blind.

Other transplants, you have to make sure your heart is in good condition,
they need to monitor blood pressure, diabetes, make sure no cancer, you need
to also go for colonoscopy, bone density tests, because transplant meds,
elevate blood pressure, blood sugar, can cause cancer, can increase early
bone problems within the body.

If you are looking for a fix to bring sight to yourself and others with that
kind of surgery, I believe it is still in the planning and testing stages,
but it could be out there in other countries, but the main thing is that we
know what both sides of the coin are.

We have members like Art Schrieber who is a person who was a correspondent,
who toured with the Beatles, he was sighted until late in life and woke on
one morning blind, who is learning what it means to be blind. We have Dan
Parker, who lost his sight while in a car race, he hasn't given up since he
is blind now, and is still racing the race cars, and learning braille and
other blind skills.

Even myself and others who have lost their sight as we got older from either
illness or accident and not born blind, who have come through it with
friends and family, and the National Federation of the Blind, some of us are
luckier than others, where they live, but when there is a will there is a
way of things. Not saying that anyone on this list is not trying their
hardest to "Life the live the want" independently as they can do what they
want.

In my case, when people say to me in that poor blind person kind of tone, I
tell them well you know what God saved my life. I can either be blind or be
dead while waiting for a kidney while I was on dialysis at the same time,
and god sent me a kidney. So the rest may not be easier for me as a blind
person, believe me it isn't, but it puts things in a different prospective,
that live is too short, and we need to try our best while we are here in
this world.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Echevarria, Vice President
National Federation of the Blind, Greater Long Island Chapter
A proud chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of New York State
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
"Live the Life You Want"

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama