[Blindtlk] [blindtlk] transplants

Holly Scott-Gardner holly.lsg at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 23:28:20 UTC 2014

There is nothing that can be done for LCA. It affects photo receptors in
the retina, therefore potential treatments include gene therapy.
However, that is still only at the trial stage, if they're even still
being conducted. I'm going to be honest and say it will be years before
anyone with LCA is cured. Mainly because there are over 15 different
genes that cause it, and all have slightly different affects. I have LCA
and kerotoconus, and even though I could get treatment for the latter it
is pointless because my vision is so bad from having LCA anyways it
wouldn't restore it.

I hope this answers your questions.

There is a conference held every 2 years in the US for families affected
by LCA, I imagine attendance is mainly from families with younger
children but they do have many doctors who are conducting research
attending as well to speak there.