[Blindtlk] How to "work a room."

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 13 00:20:04 UTC 2014

Hi, Judy,

I think this very much depends on the kind of group situation you are
dealing with.  I attended a week-long seminar last week in which I only knew
two other people.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you see
these things, I was busy trying to resolve computer issues with a
technologist so I didn't have a lot of time to feel uncomfortable.  Also,
introductions were built into the seminar as well as a social time with
supper, which made things much easier.  In some instances, you may just need
to take some risks, walk up to someone and introduce yourself.  Just do it.
It helps if you have questions about the situation you are in, so you can
actually discuss something with someone you are introducing yourself to.  I
remember once while waiting to board a flight not knowing what zone my seat
was in, and asking the person waiting next to me to please read my boarding
pass.  She was more than gracious about it, and it turned out we were
sitting next to each other and exchanged information during the flight.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.