[Blindtlk] Being Disrespected: How to Handle

Christine Olivares rafael4490 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 04:22:20 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,
I am a middle child, and both my sisters are sighted. My younger sister is about 5 and a half years younger than I am, and sometimes she treats me like a parent would treat a child. for example, she would tell me not to do something: not ask but tell me. She would also feel obligated to cook me dinner if my parents were home before I got married. I would decline and she respected me enough to not bug me, but I totally understand. I feel she is the older sister when I actually am.

On the other hand, my older sister has such a short fuse with me. If I do one little thing, she snaps and yells at me like I am a kid. Mind you, she is 10 years older than I, but she doesn’t treat my other sister that way. We have a better relationship long-distance, and that is fine…so it’s funny you say that about your sighted sister because I go through the same thing and I am 24 years old lol.

Christine