[Blindtlk] What a difference in a cane

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Mon Oct 27 15:48:23 UTC 2014

Tom, what a great story! When I learned to use a cane, it was a straight one. It was so long ago, that it had a crook at the end. When I worked at the Colorado Center, all the students were trained with straight canes. The reason is that you can't hide them away. They are the elephant in the living room
Now, a couple of things. When you put it in the car, put the top in first. Give your family time to adjust. Even when you are guided by one of them, use the cane.
You may find that you want different canes for different things. I have straight, folding and telescoping canes. The straight is great in winter. The telescoping is short enough that I can put it in a backpack for those times with the one I'm using breaks. For daily use, I use a folding.
Good luck. You're going the right way.