[Blindtlk] What a difference in a cane

Annely Rose annely53r at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 17:10:25 UTC 2014

Yes, it is available from NLS.  I just downloaded it.  Enjoying all your posts.  Take care and God bless.

Annely

 I also found it quite
 liberating when I realized that my white cane is not just a
 symbol, indicating my blindness to  others, but a tool that
 could make me more independent and self-reliant. Once I
 gained this insight, I took my cane everywhere and used it
 all the time, even if I made an occasional use of an elbow.
 I used to say that the only place I did not take my cane was
 the shower, but that's no longer true. I've gone
 camping and took the cane with me in the shower. These days
 I feel naked without it. And just like with a credit card, I
 never leave my home without my cane.

 You might find it interesting to read Tom
 Bickford's book: The Care and Feeding of the Long White
 Cane. Here is a link to the online version.
 https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/books/CFCANE/canetc.htm

 You can order the book in
 print or Braille from the NFB Independence Market at no
 charge. I believe that the audio version is available from
 NLS.

 Cordially,

 Ellen Ringlein
 Manager, Independence Market
 National Federation of the Blind
 200 East Wells Street
 Baltimore, MD 21230
 Phone:
 (410) 659-9314, Extension 2421
 Fax: (410)
 685-2340
 Email: HYPERLINK "mailto:ERinglein at nfb.org"ERinglein at nfb.org

 The National Federation of the
 Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that
 defines you or your future. Every day we raise the
 expectations of blind people, because low expectations
 create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You
 can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you
 back.

 To make a donation to
 the National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund
 campaign, please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture"
 www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture.

 -----Original
 Message-----