[Blindtlk] Making a Difference, trying to be constructive

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 3 15:19:04 UTC 2014

Eric,

Since I only know you by email, I don't know much about your physical capabilities, so I don't feel it is fair for me to judge whether you should sit in those seats.  Like others, I feel fairly strongly that I don't want to
be told where I should sit, and frankly, I don't like sitting sideways with my feet out in the aisle.  Still, I was wondering if you tried to determine if there were any other empty seats in the designated area.  I don't
think the law mandates that someone move from a seat if there are other seats available.  I also don't think that there is any mechanism in the law that requires that someone prove a disability to sit there.  It is left
to people to decide if they need to sit there.  Therefore, it is really impossible to know if someone sitting in a designated seat fits the definition or not and whether you really have a greater right to that seat than
they do.  With all of this in mind, what troubles me the most is that you would see your encounter as a positive attempt to change attitudes, even if you meant to be positive.  Just as I cannot fairly judge your need
for that seat, I can't judge the need of the other person, either.  I can see that if I were asked to move by someone who was only riding a few blocks, and if there were other seats available, I might feel put out.  Is
there more to this story that I am missing?  It has always been important to me that we don't just take a service because we are owed it, but that we look at what our needs are.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson