[Blindtlk] groups working together

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 07:50:59 UTC 2014

Hi, Sherri,
Despite I'm not an NFB, ACB or Lighthouse member, I, myself don't see anything wrong with organizations having the will to work together.
I am an active member of the Colorado Cross Disability Colision (CCDC) here in Denver, Colorado who serve a variety of people with disabilities.
I'm not sure, but will need to find out if I am the first totally blind wheelchair user as a member.
I am slowly creating a list of resources to put together in the hopes I am able to do some good with educating society.
What I mostly tell people that despite having medical ailments on top of my blindness is I don't allow neither to stop me from doing what I must do.
I may have to do things in alternative ways, but I know I do what is best.
Although I am able to advocate for myself, I do come across people that have a challenging time of being able to talk on behalf of his/herself, so try to offer as much help that I can.
I usually will provide resources to others, but then suggest that they do
the homework on their own.
Back when I grew up, my momma wasn't going to allow me to sit in a corner nor let me not be away from society, so she encouraged me to roller skate, ride a bicycle and do as much as the other kids in the neighborhood were doing.
Some people may think I'm crazy once I say this, but I have also been on skateboards.
They were fun back when I was a kid, but I'm not really thrilled with them now, more because people that use them end up getting really careless.
At least I look back and am glad that my mother made me get out and I accomplished a lot.
Eventually down the road, I finally had to ask my mom to let me fight my own battles and I told her in a conversation over the phone one time that she stated there would be the day and time that I would need to deal with battles on my own.
Although I win and may lose some, you still gain the knowledge and lessons from the ones which are lost.
I do wish that more people would allow one another to work as a big group as more would be able to be done in the hope of fixing a lot of hidden blue laws and red tape barriers.
Speaking of working with organizations and groups, I'm also having to do a lot of advocacy and educational work with the fire department, paramedics and police as well.
It is a challenge, but I'm not going to back down or give up that easily.
Sherri, I do hope for a resolution for your chapter and that other people will using their thinking to realize that if all fails, problems will arise.
Bibi and MAR son Odie